|highway = track|
|Roads for agricultural use, forestry use, etc.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
This tag represents roads for mostly agricultural use, forest tracks etc.; often unpaved (unsealed) but may apply to paved tracks as well, that are suitable for two-track vehicles, such as tractors or jeeps.
Do not use tracks to represent unpaved streets in built-up areas , that would be considered tagging for the renderer. In this situation, classify them as usual according to the conventions in your country, and also provide a surface=* tag. This isn't to say that tracks are never located in urban areas, many of them are (especially in grass landcover, allotments , parks, etc.), but they must fit the definitions described here.
How to map
To map track ways nothing else than a simple way is required.
- Add the highway=track tag to it and a name=* if appropriate.
- To specify the surface of the way use the tag surface=*
- For the maintenance intensity and construction type the tracktype=<grade1-grade5> key can be used.
- ref=* may be used for tracks which have a reference number or code
Default access restrictions are country specific and depend on ownerships, landuse and other factors. See OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions.
Consider explicit access=* type tags.
- See highway=unclassified for minor public roads which connect small settlements, such as villages, hamlets, or isolated dwellings.
- Residential roads which primarily provide access to properties should be tagged highway=residential instead.
- Roads which provide access to a single property, such as driveways, should be tagged highway=service.
- Where the OSM road class is unclear or undetermined - for example, when mapping from aerial imagery, use highway=road.
Other kinds of Tracks
See Track for other kinds of tracks.
The iD editor preset describes this feature as "Unmaintained Track Road". However, this description does not always match the usage of this tag. Many highway=track used for forestry and farming are well-maintained.